The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Wagner Butte

September 16, 2018

Wagner Butte has one of the best views in Southern Oregon. I completed a trail run as describedin William Sullivan's 100 Hikes in Southern Oregon Book.  It is 10.4 miles roundtrip and 2200 feet of elevation gain to the summit at 7140 feet.


The trail was only marked by a post from where I started off Wagner Creek Road.  The trail immediately began climbing with switchbacks.

The trail went past some meadows.

The views started to open up.




I reached a ridge and turned left at a trail junction.

There was a great view through the trees.




After a short rocky scramble I made it to the top, just as a couple others were leaving.

The view from the top was spectacular.

Panorama from Wagner Butte Summit

To the south I could see Mount Ashland.

I could look down on Ashland and Medford.

Mount McLoughlin was in the distance.

Mout Shasta peaked out beside Mount Ashland.





One last panorama from Wagner Butte.

Overall, this was an awesome run with rewarding views. There are other trails in the area to create a more extended adventure. The trail was well maintained, but it was challenging due to the elevation gain. Definitely one of my favorites in Southern Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment