The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Friday, May 8, 2020

Pacific Crest Trail: Oregon I-5 northbound 4 miles

September 9, 2018

I decided to go for a trail run on the Pacific Crest Trail, one of the most famous trails in the world. From Medford, I drove down to where the trail goes across I-5. I decided to run northbound which actually turns out to be east at this point of the trail. I parked at a trailhead close to Mount Ashland on a road off of I-5 and began running the road to connect to the trail.




There was a great sign as I entered the forest. This was my first time on the Pacific Crest Trail in several years. Previously I had the chance to complete a one of its best sections that is shared with the John Muir Trail.

The trail started in the forest.

I went across a bridge but the creek was dry.

The trail climbed up about 1500 feet and the views started to open up.

I went through a nice meadow and there were also some cattle gates to open and close.

I came to a nice view of Pilot Rock one of the most recognizable landmarks in the area.

There was an expansive view but it was somewhat obscured by smoke.



It was a nice day.

I turned around and started my way down.



Soon my run was complete. I enjoyed this section of the PCT. I didn't see anyone else on the trail and the views were nice. I hope to be able to piece together many sections of the trail in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment