The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Mountain Lakes Wilderness: Varney Creek Trail to Lake Harriette

October 28, 2018

The Mountain Lakes Wilderness is one of Oregon's original wilderness areas. It is a 6 mile by 6 mile square. It includes beautiful lakes and mountain passes.  I had the chance to complete a trail run to Lake Harriette as described in William Sullivan's 100 hikes in Oregon book. It was about 12.5 miles round trip for me. There is also an option for a loop around the higher elevation portion for a total of about 17 miles.


I began the trail on the Varney Creek Trail.

It was about 4.5 miles in climbing up in the forest to reach the main loop trail.

It was chilly and raining so I didn't get many photos in the forest. After quite a bit of climbing, I made it to a nice view.

I reached the first lake on my route, Lake Como.

Lake Como

It was beautiful mountain scenery.

I continued on the trail through the forest.

I climbed a pass and could see down to Lake Harriette.

Lake Harriette from pass

I descended to Lake Harriette and enjoyed the view. Lake Harriette might be the prettiest lake in the wilderness.




Panorama from Lake Harriette


There was a beautiful reflection back at Como Lake.

Como Lake

Panorama of Como Lake

I returned back down the Varney Creek Trail to my car. This was an awesome wilderness experience. There wasn't anyone else on the trail. The lakes were special. This would be a great place to complete the entire loop as a one night backpacking trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment