The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Independence Rock and Fremont Canyon

July 4, 2018

Independence Rock is probably familiar to many people from the days of playing Oregon Trail. It is one of the famous landmarks the pioneers passed on their journey west. It became known as Independence Rock as it was often a goal for them to reach by Independence Day, July 4.

I had been in Casper, Wyoming, for a couple weeks and I had the Fourth of July off work, so I thought it would be a perfect day to visit Independence Rock.

There is a short 1.3 mile trail around the rock, but there is also the opportunity to scramble on top of it.
Independence Rock

The rock itself isn't much higher than the surrounding area at a little over 100 feet greater.

The surrounding scenery was beautiful.

One of the most interesting aspects of Independence Rock is the many markings that people left while on their journey west.


On the backside of the rock, it wasn't as steep and I climbed up.

There were several other people on the top.

I searched the rock and found many names and dates carved into it.



I thought of how these pioneers must have felt at the time. The one below from 1861 was just at the time of the Civil War.


I also found it interesting how something like these markings has historic value, while today it was probably just be viewed as graffiti or even vandalism.

There was a great panorama from the top of Independence Rock.




One traveler was there on exactly July 4, 168 years earlier.


I did keep an eye out for snakes in the area and stayed on trail for safety.





I took a different way back to Casper and explored on the way . First, I stopped at Pathfinder Reservoir.

Pathfinder Reservoir

I went to an overlook of the Pathfinder Reservoir Dam.


Pathfinder Reservoir

Then I drove down Fremont Canyon Road.

Fremont Canyon

The North Platte River goes through Fremont Canyon and is quite a beautiful area.





Overall, it was a great day exploring new areas in Wyoming. Thankful for the freedom to experience such beautiful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment