The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

NCT: biking roads walks N. Lower Peninsula

Of all the national scenic trails, I have currently hiked the most miles on the North Country Trail, a 4600 mile trail from North Dakota to New York (soon Vermont). Whether it be beautiful segments in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Border Route TrailKekekabic Trail), along Lake Superior's beautiful shoreline (Superior Hiking TrailPictured Rocks National Lakeshore), or in Michigan's Lower Peninsula (Manistee RiverJordan River Pathway), the NCT has provided exceptional backpacking opportunities.

I will have time to hike a significant portion of trail this summer and coming fall in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula. Section hiking the NCT's established trail in the Lower Peninsula is becoming a realistic goal.  

This post contains six sections of road walks between Mackinaw City and Croton Dam.  Due to time constraints I decided to bike most of these sections. The sections are listed from North to South.

Van Road to Wycamp Lake
October 24, 2015

I began on Van Road heading Northbound from where I turned around on my hike from Petoskey State Park.

It was a rainy day, but pleasant fall colors.


I almost missed the turn onto St. Nicolas Road.

Then it was some more pleasant riding Zmikly Road.

I reached the trailhead on W Levering Road.

I left my bike and continued to Wycamp Lake on foot.


I passed a couple hunters out in the woods.

The outlet from Wycamp Lake

The trail crosses the dam.



I went out to the peninsula where I camped before on my hike from Wycamp Lake to Mackinaw City.

Wycamp Lake



I began my return journey.


At a road crossing I turned and walked over to a boat launch on the south side of Wycamp Lake. It was a great view as blue sky had come out of the clouds.


I found a friendly face from some trail maintenance.

Back at the trailhead, I got back on my bike.


It was a pleasant ride back to my vehicle.

Thumb Lake Road to Kuznik Road
October 20, 2015

I started in the middle of the section at the corner of Camp Ten and Kuznik Road. I went east on Camp Ten Road and then joined Baker Road.

 Then I joined Thumb Lake Road and followed it to official trail at the southern end of my hike between Petoskey State Park and Chandler Hills.

I turned around and began my journey back.

On Baker Road I stopped to take a picture of the North Branch of the Boyne River.

There was a nice view back of Thunder Mountain.

I passed my vehicle and continued South on Kuznik Road.

North Branch of the Boyne River

The view looking back on Kuznik Road was quite scenic.

The road became less maintained.

Then it was full of water.
I made it back to where I finished the hike below (Kuznik Road to Giem Road) and then returned to my vehicle.

Kuznik Road to Giem Road
August 26, 2015

I hiked this section as the ArgGIS map indicates that it is a foot path, but it really is a road walk. I started on Giem Road and hiked north.




In some places the road was flooded due to recent rain.

There were some nice flowers.


Moss on the trees.


It was a nice hike through the forest.


I reached the point on the map where the trail is then designated a road walk, but it still looked like a similar dirt road to me.  I turned around and started my journey back.

A classic blue blaze





Dobleski to Giem Road
October 20, 2015

I began off US-131 on Dobleski Road and went south to the trail that I completed on the north section from Warner Creek Pathway to Dobleski Road.


I turned around and headed back to US-131.  I followed along the side of the road until I came to Giem Road.

 I followed Giem Road to where I started the hike listed above this one.

I took a picture of the railroad tracks on the way back.

US-131 is one of the busiest roads the trail follows.  There is a nice wide shoulder.


Harvey Road to Doerr Road
October 19, 2015

I started near the corner of Harvey Road and Alba Highway and went south on Corey Road.

I crossed over US-131 and then turned left onto Doerr Road.  Doerr Road became quite sandy so I dropped my bike and walked over to the lake by the actual trail. This is where I turned around on the hike between Doerr Road and Manistee Lake Road.


I turned around and crossed over US-131.  Corey Road provides an expansive view.

I then passed my vehicle and continued on Harvey Road.

I reached where the trail leaves the road and dropped my bike to hike the trail.

The trail is right beside the road.

I came to the parking lot for the Landslide Overlook.

I walked over to see the view with the fall colors.

Landslide Overlook

At the Landslide Overlook I connected with my route on the Jordan River Pathway.

I hiked back to my bike and then biked back to my vehicle.

Manistee Lake Road to W Kalkaska Road

This section was completed with two different rides.
October 12, 2015

I started from where the NCT joins Manistee Lake Road (the southern end of my day hikes from Doerr Road to Manistee Lake Road)


This was one of the busier roads that I biked. There was a nice hill that I got some good speed on.

I passed on of the largest lakes on the trail, Manistee Lake.

There was a great view from the road.


After crossing Darragh Road, the road turned to dirt.


I passed through a gait and joined a horse trail.

I came to what looked like a hunter's blind and decided to turn around as I wasn't properly dressed for hunting season and the sun was starting to get low in the sky.

I passed back through the gait.

I passed TransCanada, who I have read has donated to the trail in the area.

There was nice light on the trees.


Back at Manistee Lake for a great evening view.


Back at the trail.

October 25, 2015
For part two of this section I started at Log Lake and went north to where I turned around in the ride above (by the hunter's blind).


There was a section that was on a horse trail that was difficulty to bike through because it was deep and narrow.


I passed a swampy area.

Then I came to the gaited road that I was on before.

There was an interesting cabin.

I came to where I had been before and turned around.

Soon I was back at Log Lake. I continued through a disc golf course to Blue Lake.

Then I entered Kalkaska.  There was a busy road crossing of US-131 then through a residential area.

I joined a paved bike trail through town and found a kiosk with a trail town sign.


I came to the the trailhead where I had started my first hike this summer on the NCT, Kalkaska to Fife Lake.  Last time I had the parking lot all to myself.  This time it was full of mountain bikers enjoying a pleasant fall day.

I went over to the sign by the trailhead and completed a continuous route from the Mackinaw Bridge to Croton Dam.

I turned around and headed back to Log Lake.

the bike path

I crossed US-131 and then turned onto a dead end road, Shady Lane.

Soon I was back at Log Lake, and my hiking and biking adventure on the North Country Trail between Mackinaw City and Kalkaska was complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment