The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Manistee River Trail

October 18-19, 2015

I completed Manistee River Trail (MRT) as part of a longer weekend hike from Red Bridge connecting to the North Country Trail and continuing north to the Fife Lake Loop.

This was my third time on the MRT and it continues to be one of my favorites in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.  There were still quite a few people out on the trail, much more than anywhere on the NCT, but the views and fall colors were excellent.



I started from Red Bridge in the evening.

After following the road a short distance, I joined the trail.

In less than ten minutes I was already at one of my favorite views on the MRT.





There was great evening light and the trail was right above the river.

I passed a group near Arquilla Creek.

Great forest hiking!

There were many views of the river.




I discovered that there seems to be more marked campsites than the last time I was on the MRT.



 It was starting to get dark so I went to a marked campsite, but someone was already there.  I enjoyed the view.

I descended down to the river and then did a little off-trail navigation until I ran into a road.

I followed a small use trail and then set-up camp on a bluff above the river.

I continued on the use trail around the river bend.

I found a great view of the river and colorful clouds.

I scrambled down the steep bluff for a better view.


In the night a group of hikers awoke me as they walked a couple feet in front of my tent. I heard them remarking that I had found a good campsite.  I awoke to a chilly morning, with some light snow.

I enjoyed the view across the river to the ridge in the distance.

I hiked off-trail looking for a bridge across a creek.


Back on the trail, the views continued.















I came to a scenic creek in the forest.


I almost missed the waterfall as a tree had fallen overtop of it.




Soon I could see powerlines over the river and I knew I was near the bridge.


The Mini-Mac bridge over the Manistee River


There was even some fresh snow on the bridge.

The were some people fishing nearby.

 I continued on the trail to the NCT junction on the NCT/MRT loop.

A classic Manistee River view

Soon I was at the junction for the NCT and MRT loop.

I took a right and continued on to new adventures on the North Country Trail from Hodenpyl Dam to the Fife Lake Loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment