The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

North Country Trail: Wilderness State Park to Mackinaw City


May 29-31, 2015
Distance: ~50+ miles roundtrip


Highlights: Wycamp Lake, Sturgeon Bay Trail, Lake Michigan, O'Neal Lake, Carp Lake River, French Farm Lake, Mackinaw City, Straits of Mackinaw, Big Stone Bay, Sturgeon Bay

Of all the national scenic trails, I have currently hiked the most miles on the North Country Trail, a 4600 mile trail from North Dakota to New York (soon Vermont). Whether it be beautiful segments in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Border Route TrailKekekabic Trail), along Lake Superior's beautiful shoreline (Superior Hiking TrailPictured Rocks National Lakeshore), or in Michigan's Lower Peninsula (Manistee RiverJordan River Pathway), the NCT has provided exceptional backpacking opportunities.

I will have time to hike a significant portion of trail this summer in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.  This hike is similar to the one described in Jim Dufresne's Backpacking Michigan, which he rated as one of the top 10 backpacking routes in Michigan.  I first headed south to Wycamp Lake and then returned to the trailhead, did an out and back to Mackinaw City primarily on the NCT with alternates in Wilderness State Park and then returning along Sturgeon Bay.

The map below shows the NCT portion of the route.  Click on the printer symbol and print out a map to use on trail.



I started my hike Friday evening at the trailhead on Sturgeon Bay Trail (the road). 


I hiked the NCT southbound toward Wycamp Lake.  The trail had one instance of flooding but a detour route was provided.

I came to Wycamp Lake and followed the trail around it until I came to an old road.  I followed it to a point where I found a nice campsite.

There were nice evening views of the lake.

I found an old boat nearby.

There were great views of the hills across the lake.

Some mosquitos came out at night and I was happy for the protection of my tent.  I could hear them buzzing by my head under the mesh floor of my tent.

It was a rainy night with cool temps.  I managed to stay reasonably dry.  I awoke to a mystifying morning.

I backtracked to the trailhead and began hiking on the Sturgeon Bay Trail.

The trail was quite scenic and climbed ridges of old dunes.

There were some impressive inland views.


I came to Lakeview Road and ventured out to Sturgeon Bay to enjoy a great view of Lake Michigan.

Back on the trail, I enjoyed a nice forested hike.


I passed some ponds and startled a bald eagle and it flew away majestically.  Maybe this is its nest...

I came to post number 9 and departed from the NCT, making my way to O'Neal Lake on a snowmobile trail.  In one instance it was completely flooded and I had to hoist my pack over my head to make sure it didn't get wet.  The water wasn't that deep, but it was hard to tell.  Near the dam by O'Neal Lake was an impressive sight!

The dam was actually in poor condition and I had to perform a balancing act as I climbed the narrow cement support.

View from the dam


After hiking in the woods I came to the O'Neal Lake backcountry site.  The view was quite expansive.




After leaving O'Neal Lake I decided to take the Old East Boundary Trail instead of the Nebo Trail.  This decision resulted in having to hike at least a quarter mile through knee deep water. It was cool and refreshing!

Back on the NCT I came to a nice pond and passed a backcountry campsite.


I came to Cecil Bay Road where there was a trail register and a nice NCT sign.


In a short distance I came to the Carp Lake River.

There was an impressive bridge across it.


Along the trail, I saw many rare orchids.

This section of trail has many boardwalks as the trail navigates many wet areas.

Next was south end of French Farm Lake.

The dam here was in better condition than at O'Neal Lake.

French Farm Lake

I dropped my pack and made my way to Mackinaw City.  There was a scenic stretch on the Mackinaw City-Alanson Rail-Trail.

As I entered the city, the trail went underneath I-75.

I took a short road walk to the Mackinaw Bridge.

I came to the Mackinaw City Lighthouse with a view of the bridge in the distance.


I took a short break and enjoyed the view including two great lakes and two peninsulas as I watched boats on their way to Mackinaw Island.

I journeyed back to the NCT, passing Fort Michilimacinac.

Back on the rail trail, I stopped to view the trilliums.

Leaving the rail trail I returned to French Farm Lake.  There was a nice boardwalk.

By one of the established French Farm Lake Campsites, I noticed a dune.  I decided to climb it and found this view on the other side.

Back on the trail I returned to my backpack and then hiked another mile to the campsite near the south end of the lake.


The sun came out in the evening and lit up the trees across the lake.

The next morning I found blue skies.

Another rare orchid


I crossed the Carp Lake River for the second time.

There were some loons swimming in this pond.

After re-entering Wilderness State Park I began hiking the portion of the NCT that I had missed. This was a great section of trail including the East Ridge Trail and Red Pine Trail.  I also took a side trip to the took of Mount Nebo and to some old growth forest.

I arrived at Goose Pond and then made my way to the modern campgrounds and Big Stone Bay.


Big Stone Bay


I returned to the NCT and continued on the Swamp Line Trail including crossing Big Sucker Creek.

I joined the Sturgeon Bay Trail and had a pleasant hike to Lakeview road.   I returned to the beach and this time hiked south with amazing views.


There were many geese.



I unfortunately had to leave the beach and after a short road walk was back at my vehicle.  Another exciting hike on the North Country Trail was complete.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting story. I wonder what there is about graduating from physical therapy that makes both of us want to hike this piece of the world. Just graduated from PTA school. Hope to see you on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The O'Neal Lake Dam had failed. There was a tough court battle but funding was found and the Dam is rebuilt now. The Lake is back to how I remember it as a teen.

    ReplyDelete