The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Kekekabic Trail Thru-hike 2014

September 22-25, 2014
Gunflint Trail to Snowbank Lake Trailhead (11.5+14.5+8.25+5.25=39.5 miles)
Cumulative NCT/Lake Superior Adventure Miles: 563.7


The "Kek" was part 4 of 6 of my NCT/Lake Superior Adventure.

Campsites:
Agamok Falls
Thomas River
Parent Lake

Day 1: Gunflint Trail to Agamok Falls (11.5 miles)

At the trailhead I found a warning sign regarding the fire damage on the eastern end of the trail.


The initial section of the trail was in great condition.


The trail passes some historic mining sites.

The Kek stuck close to the shoreline of some small lakes.




Mine Lake

I found a berry-filled treasure.


I entered the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and for the first time crossing the boundary, there was a sign.

 I came to the scenic Bingshick Lake.


At Bingshick Lake I met two day-hikers, Dennis and Laurel, and they offered me some chocolate and an apple.  We talked for some time and I learned of exciting adventures in Scotland and the Wind Rivers.  Thank you!  They told me that I was going to have great weather the rest of the week.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was actually somewhat warm out.


 I continued past Faye and Warclub Lakes.  The trail became more challenging but was marked frequently by cairns and ribbons.


 At times I felt sure that I couldn't possibly be on the trail, only to see a cairn right beside me.

 I passed Howard Lake.


The impact of the fire was apparent nearly everywhere I went.



Up on the ridge, I caught a view of Gabimichigami Lake, the deepest lake in Minnesota.


The northern end of Gabimichigami Lake
Some of the campsites in the Boundary Waters were nothing more than a fire ring without anywhere flat to set up a tent.

Gabimichigami campsite


After climbing up an especially thick section, I came up on another ridge.




The leaves were changing colors.

I passed a small pond with a nice reflection.  The trail using beaver dams frequently as a means of crossing.


I reached my destination for the night, Agamok Falls.

Agamok Falls


There is an impressive bridge over the waterfall.


Campsite by Agamok Falls

Day 2: Agamok Falls to Thomas River (14.5 miles)

The next morning I slept in a little and went back to the falls to eat my breakfast: blueberry pie.





 I climbed up to the tallest points and biggest views on the trail on the ridge above Travois Lake.

On the way down I accidentally ended up at Travois Lake after following a pink ribboned trail.

After returning to the trail, I continued to Harness Lake.

There was a beautiful reflection in a pond.

I took a short side trip to Kekekabic Lake.

The Kekekabic Cabin was nearby, but it was closed.


Strup Lake

A typical section of the Kek


I decided to set up camp by the Thomas River portage.

There was a nice waterfall nearby.



Day 3
Thomas River to Parent Lake (8.25 miles)


Campsite by Thomas River

The bridge over Thomas River

It was a short hike over to the scenic Medas Lake.



Moiyaka Lake was nearby as well.


Moiyaka Lake





Typical tread

The path to Drumstick Lake is marked by the classic old band saw.

I went off the Kek to get a view of Disappointment Lake.  I was not disappointed in the least.





Back on the Kek I hiked past a peaceful meadow.  I kept my eye out for wildlife.


Early in the afternoon I made it to my last campsite on the Kek, Parent Lake.  It was a perfect place to spend the final night of a 400+ mile continuous hike that started back in Duluth on the Superior Hiking Trail.  In fact, I hadn't even been in a vehicle the entire time.

Parent Lake


Leaves were falling from the trees and the wind was blowing them onto the lake in front of me as I relaxed on the rocky shore.

I made a favorite meal. Burritos!

After heading back to my tent for a mini-slideshow on my camera of my hike all the way from Duluth, I returned for an evening view.


It was spectacular!



 Day 4
Parent Lake to Snowbank/Kekekabic Trailhead (5.25 miles)

Parent Lake had some nice reflections in the morning.


Back on the Kek, I still had some challenges.

At one point I wandered off to a beaver pond before I realized that I was no longer on the trail.  The colors were getting bright.

After passing through a logging area, I came to a nice overlook.  I believe that is Snowbank Lake in the distance.

The trail was actually quite easy to follow, but I did get a little confused at a forest road crossing.  There was blue ribbons on trees, but they were not trail markers.

 Massive cairns!

Soon I came to Snowbank Lake Road and the Western Terminus of the Kek.  My hike on the Kekekabic Trail was complete.  Hiking the Kek was a great and remote experience.  The weather was spectacular.  It almost felt like I had entered a new world after leaving the BRT.  While it didn't have the stunning cliffs and overlooks of the Border Route Trail, it had extreme solitude.  I didn't see a person for two and half days.  Unlike the Border Route, the Kek has no bail out points with the only entry points to the trail at its eastern and western termini.  The trail passed many lakes and a couple waterfalls.  The contrast of the fire burned eastern section and the forested western section was interesting.  The trail was certainly rugged  but I had more route finding difficulties on the Border Route Trail.  My hiking speed was, however, faster on the Border Route.  I certainly could have hiked the Kek faster, but I was in no rush to finish.

Kek's Western terminus

On the other side of the road there was a sign.

I stopped at the trailhead for a little break and then began walking down the road to hitch to Ely.
Once I made it to the main road I turned right and kept walking.

There was little traffic, but the road was beautiful.  After a short time, I heard a car coming. I turned and stuck out my thumb, but the car continued on its way.  A few minutes later I noticed a car coming the other way.  Then it stopped.  I looked closer.  It was the same car.  They had come back for me!  It was a nice couple from Florida, up checking out some family property.  We had a nice conversation as we headed to Ely.  They dropped me off at the Dairy Queen and I got a delicious Pumpkin Pie Blizzard.  After spending the night in Ely, I got a shuttle ride back to Duluth the next morning from the Ely Shuttle Service.  It was a beautiful ride!

It was great to be back where I had started hiking Minnesota's North Shore on the Superior Hiking Trail in Jay Cooke State Park along the St. Louis River.

St. Louis River, Jay Cooke State Park

My NCT/Lake Superior Adventure still had more to come as I returned to Michigan for Part 5 of 6, a two night loop in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.

9 comments:

  1. Came across this while researching the Kek; might backpack it this summer. It looks like a great hike, thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron. It's one of the most remote hikes I've done. Take your time and enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures... I've hiked the kek many times in the summer, spring and late fall... It is truly a magical place... Thanks for the excellent pics.... Keep on kekin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures... I've hiked the kek many times in the summer, spring and late fall... It is truly a magical place... Thanks for the excellent pics.... Keep on kekin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the trip report. I'm contemplating doing the Kek but haven't found many reports like this, thus I really appreciated seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, what a beautiful time to hike it in the fall. -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing, where you can really get back in nature, where it still feels like nature is whole instead of places where you can still feel the presence of humans around...if you know what I mean. Adding to bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, even after several years, my time on the Kek is still one of the longest experiences I've gone without seeing another person

      Delete