The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wonderland Trail Day 6: Mystic Camp to Sunrise

Monday, July 23, 2012
       Destination: Sunrise
Starting Location: Mystic Camp
Today's Miles: 10.60
Trip Miles: 94.00

Today I completed the Wonderland Trail! It was one the best days of my journey! I woke up early and I saw the beautiful sky again!
Mystic Lake 

 I had a little trouble figuring out where the trail went from Mystic so I just walked through the woods with my gps until I saw it near a stream. Once on the trail, it was a peaceful climb up to granite creek. I went around a big creeking glacier on the way! 


Winthrop Glacier

 I ate the remainder of my snacks at Granite creek. For some reason I neglected to send myself resupplies on this trip, but I guess it wasn't that critical as I was out less than a week.

 From Granite creek the trail climbed up above treeline to some of the biggest views of Rainier that I had seen the entire time! To the right of the trail was a large herd of mountain goats grazing on flowers. I climbed up a little closer to get a picture with them and Mt. Rainier behind them.


  I looked off to the right and saw a trail going up to a peak, I believe, Skyscraper Peak. I decided that since the weather was nice that I just had to go to the top. Without much effort, I found myself at the top staring at even more impressive views!



 I climbed down and made my way to Sunrise to complete my hike. I passed a few other hikers on the way, just beginning their journey.


 I took the long route back to Sunrise via Sunrise camp and a nice lake nearby in order to complete the trail in the same spot that I started it. Supposedly there was a bear in the area, but I didn't see it.
 Before I knew it I was back to the sign where I had started the trail. I took a picture next to the sign and began heading back to the parking lot. Another amazing experience was complete!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment