The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wonderland Trail Day 2: Indian Bar to Paradise River

Thursday, July 19, 2012
       Destination: Paradise River
Starting Location: Indian Bar
Today's Miles: 17.40
Trip Miles: 31.40

Today was another spectacular day on the Wonderland Trail! I began by climbing up from Indian Bar. There was still some snow but I had little difficulty with navigation due to the help of my GPS!
 When I got to the highest point, there were numerous outstanding views! Rainier was looking massive, there were other magestic peaks off in the distance, and I even saw some elk down in the valley below Rainier! I took a little break to soak it in!

 I next descended to Nickel Creek where I had a little break for a snack. I probably should have gone a little farther because Box Canyon was very close and would have been the perfect spot to stop! It's a very narrow canyon that goes straight down more than 100 feet!

Box Canyon



 Then it was on through Steven's Canyon. I struggled somewhat with the climb and found myself counting my steps! Maybe it was just me getting used to my first time being a solo backpacker. As I hiked, I passed two nice waterfalls that helped to cool me down.


 Even though, Reflection Lakes is right by the road, it was very beautiful and I spent some time eating some food and staring at the mountain.
Reflection Lakes

 it was a quick descent to Paradise River camp where I got to try out my new Zpacks hexamid tent for the first time. First night in tent meant first rain! It performed well and I was able to stay dry even though one side is really only mesh. I propped up my golite umbrella on that side and set up my emergency poncho as a makeshift wall. The setup worked well!

No comments:

Post a Comment