The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Friday, June 5, 2020

Castle Crags State Park to Castle Dome

November 25, 2018
6.21 miles

On the way back to Oregon from visiting family in California I had the chance to go for a trail run at Castle Crags State Park.  The views are awesome, but it was a steep climb of over 2000 feet in 3 miles to reach Castle Dome.


I started from the parking near Vista Point on the Crags Trail.

It started climbing through the forest. I don't remember exactly where, but somewhere I crossed the PCT.

I found a view of the Crags through the trees.

There were some snowy mountains in the distance.


The views started to open up.



The clouds were nice.

I reached the boundary of the Castle Crags Wilderness. I could see Mount Shasta.

Castle Dome and Mount Shasta




There was an awesome view from the top. I decided not to scramble to the top of Castle Dome itself.

Castle Dome


The scenery was so rocky and rugged.


I started my way back down.




Overall, this was an amazing run. The scenery of Castle Crags was unlike anything I had seen in quite some time.  The rocky cliffs and also views of Mount Shasta were spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment