The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Craters of the Moon National Monument

August 3, 2018




On my drive west to a job in Oregon, I had the chance to stop for a few hours at Craters of the Moon National Monument.  It is a very unique area unlike anything I have seen before.  The monument is quite large but access is generally limited to a small northern area by the visitor center unless an epic off-trail backpacking adventure is planned.

North Crater Flow Trail








Next I hike the Devil's Orchard Trail.






It was windy. I decided to hike up Inferno Cone.

There was a nice view.


View from top of Inferno Cone







I hiked a short distance on the North Crater Trail from the southern parking lot.

There was an expansive view of a crater.




Inferno Cone

Next I hiked the Caves Trail. A permit is needed to be able to enter the caves.


Dewdrop Cave






Craters of the Moon National Monument is a very interesting place whether explored for a few hours or probably even a few days on a backpacking adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment