The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Manistee River Trail/NCT Loop Day Hike

June 28, 2013
~20 Miles

This loop hike is a classic backpacking trip in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.

I completed this hike as a day-hike while training for my Colorado Trail adventure.  Previously I had been inspired by the fall colors during October 2012 on a weekend hike here with my dad.


After awaking early in the morning and driving about 3 hours to get to the Red Bridge River Access trailhead, I began my hike.  I hiked clockwise saving the Manistee River Trail for last.


After completing a climb, I made it to the North Country Trail and turned right.

The trail was mainly in the forest with a few views through the trees.



There was a nice campsite up on the ridge. There isn't a nearby watersource though.

I continued through forested terrain with some elevation changes.  After some time, I came to Eddington Creek.

There was a nice bridge across it.

 I left the North Country Trail and joined the Manistee River Trail.  There was an animal skeleton in in the path.

Soon I reached the first view overlook of the Manistee River.

The spur trail was blazed with white blazes.

I reached the bridge over the Manistee River.

Manistee River

Before this bridge was constructed, a significant ford was required to reach the other side.


On the east side of the river, the trail brought me to many overlooks of the Manistee River below.



I almost stepped on this huge turtle in the trail!


Some of the many flowers along the trail.


I stopped to get some water at a campsite by the river.


There was an impressive tree nearby.

Back on the trail, the impressive views continued.

I came to the impressive mini waterfall, one of the very few in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.




I came to Slagle Creek.

The bridge was expertly constructed.

Then I entered a pine forest.

Next I came to Cedar Creek.

Then an impressive view across the Manistee River Valley.




More flowers near the trail


As I neared the end, I came to one of the favorite views of the Manistee River.

Finally, I came out to the Coates Highway.

I enjoyed a final view of the pond near the Manistee River by the parking lot.

This experience reminded me of the many joys I experienced my first time hiking this loop.  This is definitely one of the best hikes in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.  I recommend hiking it in the fall during the week for cool temps, fall colors, and less crowds, but any hike on this trail will be worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment