The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Day Hikes on the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail

May-July 2014

The Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail (PNT) is one of the 11 designated national scenic trails in the United States.  While not famous as others such as the Appalachian, Pacific Crest, or Continental Divide, the PNT offers a great diversity of scenery on its course from the Continental Divide in Glacier National Park to the Pacific Ocean in Olympic National Park.  The entire trail is ~1200 miles long, but is approximately 50% on roads according reports I have read from thru-hikers online.  This may be somewhat discouraging for potential thru-hikers, including myself, but the established trail is excellent!

I had the opportunity to complete an internship in Anacortes, Washington, and the PNT goes right through town.  During my time in the area I had to opportunity to complete many day hikes on the PNT from east on the mainland at Oyster Dome to west on the Olympic Peninsula at Cape Alava (report yet to be completed).   Sometimes I would set out on a spectacular day-hike recommended to me, only to later discover that I had been on the PNT.  For maps check out the PNT website here: http://www.pnt.org/trail.html.

I will begin this summary of hikes from the East at Oyster Dome and move westbound to Admiralty Head.

Oyster Dome

While Oyster Dome is not on the PNT itself, I did a loop hike to it that also included a beautiful section of the PNT.  The Washington Trails Association has a great write up on the hike to Oyster Dome here: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/oyster-dome.  I hiked up to Oyster Dome and then to Lily Lake  and looped back on the PNT past Sammish Overlook.

I began at the trailhead along Chuckanut Drive.  I discovered that I was on the PNT when I saw this impressive marker.


It was a steep climb through lush forest.  The trail was an great condition.

At Oyster Dome there were a couple groups of people, but I'm sure it is far more crowded on the weekends.  The view of the San Juan Islands was special.  I could see Anacortes and the refinery.

View from Oyster Dome

I continued to Lily Lake and the PNT.

The were campsites at Lily Lake and I don't believe any permit is required.  It would be a great place to set up camp and view the sunset from Oyster Dome.

Lily Lake


I joined the PNT and it was even blazed on the some mossy trees.

I came to the Sammish Overlook.  There is a road to the top for those who are unable to complete the climb.  There was an immense view over the fertile land below.

 There was also a view looking west.


I descended on my way back to the trailhead and came to a view that I had passed earlier.

Once back at the trailhead I crossed the road and wandered through the woods a short distance to get another view of Samish Bay.


Padilla Bay Shore Trail

This was a scenic trail mostly on a dike.   I went from south to north.  The WTA describes it north to south here: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/padilla-bay?searchterm=padilla+bay.  It was a great evening hike.



It would be interesting to come at different times of the day to see the changing water levels.

The trail is close to scenic farmland and mountains are visible in the distance.


After finishing the trail, I road walked to Bay View State Park for a great view across the bay.

There were great views of the mountainous San Juan Islands.
 On the way back there were great evening views and I loved the clouds.


Tommy Thompson Trail
This is a great paved trail on an abandoned railway corridor in Anacortes with a trestle over Fidalgo Bay and views of Mount Baker, the refinery, and the bay.  I visited this trail several times and ran the entire length round trip once.  It's 3.3 miles long.  On it's northern end it is just sidewalk starting near Safeway.  It goes by interesting industrial and urban areas including many boats.

Views across Fidalgo Bay and Mount Baker

The refinery and Mount Baker



Sunset over the trestle

One evening I even saw a seal nearby.

Anacortes Community Forest Lands
Anacortes has an excellent trail system in its community forest lands.  The PNT travels through scenic forests and past lakes and ponds.  I had the opportunity to hike several times and completed the section of the PNT.  There are so many trails that I was even able to make a loop in order not to backtrack.  There is an excellent mapset (see Cranberry Lake, Heart Lake, and Whistle Lake maps here: http://www.pnt.org/trail.html) that I highly recommend as it is easy to get confused with so many trails.  I first did a loop starting from the trailhead at the end of 23rd St.

Little Cranberry Lake



I hiked past several nice ponds.


I hiked south to Heart Lake and Trail 220 and returned mainly on different trails back to the trailhead.

Little Cranberry Lake



Mount Baker from the trailhead

I finished the rest of the PNT in the Anacortes Community Forest Lands starting from the Pass Lake Trailhead in Deception Pass State Park.  I was on trail for sometime and then I decided to experience some PNT road walking for myself.  I had a great view of Mount Erie, the tallest mountain on Fidalgo Island and a popular rock climbing spot.  While the PNT does not go to the top of Mount Erie, a side trip to the top would definitely be worth it while doing a thru hike.


I walked past Lake Erie on the way to enter the Anacortes Community Forest Lands.

Mount Erie

Lake Erie

I left the road and followed great trail to the Heart Lake Area I had been to before.  I turned around and walked back.  I finished the rest of the Pass Lake Loop and returned to the trailhead at Pass Lake.

Deception Pass State Park
Deception Pass State Park is located on the southern end of Fidalgo Island and the northern end of Whidbey Island.  The bridge between the two islands is especially scenic.  I visited this park many times whether to just enjoy the view from the bridge, study on the beach, or go for a hike. The PNT has two routes through the park and I did a significant portion of the trail in the park.

Deception Pass
 Early explorers were deceived by this pass and thought that it was a river when the tide was going out.



There are actually two bridges with a small island in the middle, Pass Island.
 





North Beach is on Whidbey Island and was a great place to study and enjoy the views.

North Beach



 



West Beach provided great views across to the Olympic mountains.

West Beach



Near West Beach, Cranberry Lake was is another special place in the park.

 Cranberry Lake
 (not to be confused with Little Cran. Lk. in the Anacortes For. Lands)

A great loop is to start at the main parking lot by Cranberry Lake, cross the main road and head over to Cornet Bay and then up to Goose Rock, past the Deception Pass Bridge, down to North Beach, continue to West Beach, and along the shore of Cranberry Lake back to the main parking lot.


Cornet Bay


Goose Rock



 Fort Ebey State Park
Fort Ebey was initially a coastal defense fort in World War II.  Now it offers spectacular views, a campground, and a beautiful section of the Pacific Northwest Trail.  I was able to visit Fort Ebey twice.

Mount Rainier from Partridge Point



I had the chance to hike the Bluff Trail and it was well worth it! I started from North of Partridge Point and hiked south.




I hiked down along the Bluff Trail, trying to get to Ebey's Landing, but I didn't have a good map with me and the trail turned inland.  I decided to descend steeply to the beach.  I saw an eagle on the way down and then slid to the bottom.  This could have been dangerous.

As I headed north, I noticed a paraglider up over Partridge Point.




It was a great evening at Partridge Point.











Fort Casey State Park
Fort Casey was built in the 1890s as part of a defense for the Puget Sound from naval invasion.  It currently is a state park with great views, a lighthouse, a campground, and the Pacific Northwest Trail.

View from the disappearing gun











Admiralty Head Lighthouse

View to Ebey's Landing

 While I did most of the on-trail hiking on Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands, I didn't get to the coastal section between Ebey's Landing and Fort Casey and also a small section in Joseph Whidbey State Park.  There also may be some trail north of Fort Ebey that I missed.  The remaining "trail" in this area is mainly road walking I believe.

Overall, the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail provides many exceptional day-hiking experiences in the Fidalgo and Whidbey Island Region. It's hard to surpass the pure scenery of the Pacific Northwest!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, cool post! Approximately 25% of the PNT is still on roads at this point. It's worth pointing out that only half of those are paved. The rest are mostly dirt forest service roads or old logging roads. We still have a long way to go, but the current condition is par for the course for a National Scenic Trail just nine years after being designated. The PCT was in similar shape in the mid 70's, for instance. The area with the highest percentage of roads is between Hannegan Pass and Port Townsend (Whatcom, Skagit, and Island counties), but there's some great progress being made there too. Relocations for the trail in Mount Baker-Snoqualmie NF for will eliminate 27 miles of roads in the coming years, for instance. As for the the thru-hikers, I thru-hiked the trail in 2014. Since that time, the number of thru-hikers has been doubling nearly every year, and it is expected that between 100-200 will attempt thru-hikes in 2018. At the current trajectory, the PNT could become the third most popular national scenic trail (out of eleven) in another couple of years! This month, the PNTA launched a new website. A better link to guide users to maps would be: https://www.pnt.org/pnta/maps/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! That's really exciting to hear! It's been quite some time since I did all these days hikes and looking back over the blogpost brought back many fond memories. I wish I would have had time to backpack some of the PNT when I was in the area. Maybe I'll just have to come back for a thruhike :) if I don't have that much time, I've been thinking of a doing a 100-150 mile section of the PNT. I heard the Paysayten is great. Just wondering, do you have any recommendations for a section of that distance with fairly easy logistics? You've actually got me thinking more about a thruhike though :) thanks!!

      Delete