The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Isle Royale Day 8: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor

August 10, 2010
Miles: 8.0

Today was our last backpacking day on Isle Royale. We hiked a little over 4 miles to Threemile on the Rock Harbor Trail.
 It was misty and foggy today but that made for some interesting views.



 The Rock Harbor Trail sticks close to the shore and is often on large slabs of  rock.

 We were soon back to Rock Harbor and found an available shelter for our last night in the park.  There was a short trail behind our shelter that led to the lake.
After some time relaxing and reading a book with such a great view, we decided to head to "civilization" at Rock Harbor and we found some pizza. 


Isle Royale National Park is such a special place.  Currently I rank it as the #1 backpacking location in Michigan that I have experienced.  I have yet to backpack Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore which is also ranked highly in many guidebooks.  I have future plans to return to Isle Royale as part of my upcoming NCT/Lake Superior Adventure which I will start on the other side of the island from Windigo.  Pictured Rocks will also be included in this 1000+ mile combination of adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment