The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Monday, April 13, 2020

Cape Sebastian and Samuel Boardman Corridor

February 7-9,  2020

I decided to explore the southern Oregon Coast with three trail runs and also short hikes. This is some of the best of the Oregon Coast. In total I ran about 38 miles and several other miles hiking to scenic lookouts and beaches. Many of the routes I chose are part of the Secret Beach 50 miles/100k Ultramarathon race course by Rainshadow Running. Almost all the runs I did are on the Oregon Coast Trail.


Map of Samuel Boardman State Scenic Corridor (doesn't include Cape Sebastian)


On Friday afternoon after driving for a couple hours I started the first run at Kissing Rock, just south of Gold Beach. I planned to run the beach toward Cape Sebastian and then loop back on the beach for about seven miles.

Cape Sebastian from Kissing Rock


It was cloudy but not raining. The beach was soft.

Near a stream, I found a trail heading into the forest.

It was a fairly step climb.

There was a bridge over a small creek.

I was surprised to find donkeys on the trail in front of me. Someone was taking their donkeys for a walk.

I returned to the beach.


Looking back to Cape Sebastian


Soon I was back at Kissing Rock.

Kissing Rock


View north from the pull-out beside the road for Kissing Rock.

After finishing the run, I continued the drive south toward Harris Beach State Park where I had reserved a campsite. On the way I stopped along the Samuel Boardman Scenic Corridor to explore some of the places I would run past in the next two days.

I grabbed some food and my stove and hiked by Thunder Rock Cove.

There was a great view from a lookout point. I could see on of the Natural Bridges.

Looking north I could see the beach down below, I wasn't quite sure where Secret Beach was but I had read that it was quite scenic.

I cooked some good food and enjoyed the view.

I finished eating a little before the sun was going to set and hurried down the trail to try to find Secret Beach. It was farther than I anticipated but I found it just as the sun was setting. The tide was low, so I was able to explore the beach.

Secret Beach at sunset





There were a couple others nearby, but the beach wasn't very crowded for such a spectacular sunset.


Secret Beach


I returned to my car and drove in the dark to Harris Beach State Park and found my campsite. I had reserved a site with hook-ups as tent sites were first-come first-serve. I probably could have saved some money, but I wasn't sure if the sites would be taken before I arrived.  After setting up my tent, I planned the next two runs. It was complicated as I wanted to run sections on beaches but this weekend was a King Tide and I wanted to be safe.

In the morning, I hiked some of the short but beautiful trails at Harris Beach State Park.

Beach at Harris Beach State Park





Tide was highest in the morning so I decided to explore some other areas at Samuel Boardman before running.

I went to one of the most popular places: Natural Bridges.

There was a steep trail down to one of the arches.

The scenery was special.

It is possible to go on top of one of the arches there is lots of loose rock and it didn't feel safe.

There was another trail that went down closer to Natural Bridges.



I drove and explored some other areas.

Arch Rock


I decided for the two long runs I would split them from near Whaleshead Beach. The first I would go south and the second, I would go north.

Whaleshead Beach


From the beach, I took the Oregon Coast Trail up into the trees.

There was a nice waterfall by the trail.

There was a view over the ocean.

A lot of this section of trail was fairly close to the road.

I reached House Rock Viewpoint and a plaque for Samuel Boardman.

I had a little trouble finding the trail continuing south from House Rock.


I ran out on Cape Ferrelo into the wind. There was a spectacular view to the south.

Cape Ferrelo

View north from Cape Ferrelo


Someone had left a painted rock at the end of the cape.


I descended to Lone Ranch Beach crossing a creek on the way.

I ran along the beach and then climbed the unnamed point on its southern side. There was a great view!

There were many sea stacks to the south.

I followed the Oregon Coast Trail into the forest.


I followed the trail until it ended at some condos and the trail came out to 101. I turned around and began the journey back.



I descended to Lone Ranch Beach on the south side to the unnamed point and ran around the point on the beach.




Lone Ranch Beach

There were some nice flowers by the trail.

I went out to Cape Ferrelo again. It was still windy.





I decided to descend to Whaleshead Beach and run the beach on the way back.





Looking back on the descent to Whaleshead Beach.

I ran past a waterfall.


There were nice reflection at end of the beach.

I finished the run with a beautiful rainbow! This run was 14 miles.

In the evening I decided to hike down to China Beach and eat some food.

It was low tide so I would be able to make it around the rocky headland that can't be passed at high tide.
China Beach

China Beach

The rock formations on the beach were unique.

There was a nice reflection in a stream. The sun went into the clouds.

China Beach

I returned to Harris Beach State Park, got a shower and went to sleep. In the morning I returned to the Whaleshead Parking area and began the run north to Arch Rock.

Looking South near Whaleshead



There was nice trail in the forest.

I reached one of the highlights: Indian Sands.

From Indian Sands there were dramatic views high above the ocean.

Panorama from Indian Sands

Looking North from Indian Sands

The tide was high and water was turning white.

I went down to find a viewpoint of the Thomas Creek Bridge, the highest bridge in Oregon. The view wasn't great and probably wasn't worth the effort running down to.

There was a better view right beside the road.

I ran across the bridge.

I rejoined the trail on the other side but started going the wrong direction. It brought me to a nice view.

I turned around and continued north.


There was a section I ran on the road instead of going down to China Beach as the tide was high. The road had a big shoulder. After rejoining the trail, I went past Natural Bridges.




There was a nice view from Deer Point.

Arch Rock turned out a little farther than I anticipated but I still made it.
I turned around and started heading back. The ways were covering Secret Beach.

Secret Beach

There was a creek with a small waterfall nearby.

On the way back, I think I took a couple short cuts along the road where the trail looped in the forest.

Natural Bridges



More great forested trail!


Back at Indian Sands

Indian Sands


The trail followed a creek.
After 16.5 miles roundtrip I made it back to the car.  I was tired, but it had been a great experience.

This was my first base camping/running destination weekend. I enjoyed the flexibility of having a vehicle to drive around and explore after completing trail runs. It was also nice to be able to scout the route as best as I could at where I thought there would be junctions before running. The trails here are mostly unmarked and often there are many side trails so they can get a little confusing, but the scenery is definitely worth it! In total I was still able to complete nearly the same distance as backpacking for the entire weekend, but I felt like I had more free time to relax and enjoy the scenery.  The Samuel Boardman Corridor is exceptional. I really enjoyed the trails and coastal scenery. It's definitely an area I hope to return to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment