The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Broken Top No Name Lake Backpack+Trail Run

August 18, 2019
~4 miles roundtrip backpacking and 9.35 miles running 

Earlier in the day I had summited the South Sister with friends. They had to return home, but I had the time for another adventure. I drove over to the Todd Lake Trailhead. I could see Mount Bachelor across a meadow.

My plan was to backpack in a couple miles, camp, and then trail run the next morning to a beautiful lake near Broken Top.
Todd Lake Trailhead

I began on the Todd Trail.

I entered the Three Sisters Wilderness.


It was starting to get a little dark. I could see a rocky mountain ahead.

Broken Top

Looking back to Mount Bachelor

South Sister (where I had been earlier in the day)

My map indicated that the trail crossed a couple streams. I was hoping to find a campsite near a water source.
I reached a stream that was flowing but decided to continue as the map showed another. I crossed it and it was dry.

I continued as the light decreased.



I unexpectedly found a small pond with a nice view.

There was a reflection of Broken Top in the pond.

I found a campsite on the other side of the pond and enjoyed a starry night.

In the morning I packed up my running vest and left my tent and backpacking gear at camp.



I began the run.

I passed the Soda Creek Trail junction. 

I joined the Broken Top Trail.


I could see Mount Bachelor to the south.



There was some epic scenery.


The trail briefly left the wilderness.

There was an unofficial trail that would take me to the lake.


The trail was still well traveled. Other hikers were on the trail in the morning.


I went across some snow.

Looking south to Mount Bachelor



I made it to the lake and it was stunning, unlike anything I had seen before. Broken Top was quite colorful and the stillness of the water made a great reflection.

The trail went along the side of the lake.



There was a group of people camped near the lake.

There was a trail up the ridge. I reached the top and found an expansive view. I could see all Three Sisters and all the way to Mount Hood or possibly Mount Adams.

Panorama from near Broken Hand



I took my time enjoying the view.



I could hear rocks falling on Broken Top.
Broken Top

South Sister

I began the descent back down to the lake.





Once back at camp, I packed up and it was a short hike back.





Overall this was a great backpack and run. The views from the unnamed lake are probably some of favorite in all of Oregon. This adventure now requires a permit for both overnight or day use.

No comments:

Post a Comment