The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Cape Perpetua: Cummins Creek/Cooks Ridge loop

January 19, 2020
13.6 miles, 2500 feet elevation gain


I completed a beautiful trail run in the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area of the Siuslaw National Forest. The day before I had completed a fastpacking overnighter at Kentucky and North Fork Falls. I drove over to the Cummins Creek Trailhead and found a campsite a short distance down the trail.

I planned to run a lengthy loop about 13 miles that is mostly part of the Oregon Coast 50k Trail Race course. Previously I had run the Oregon Coast 30k and it was lots of fun. I was excited to run some new trails in the area. My plan was to run the Cummins Creek Trail, then down to the Cape Perpetua Visitor Center on the Cooks Ridge Loop, followed by the Giant Spruce Trail out and back, then across 101 to the Captain Cook Trail and Trail of Restless Waters, back across 101 and then south on the Oregon Coast Trail back to the Cummins Creek Trailhead.

Campsite near the Cummins Creek Trailhead

I scrambled down to the creek from near the parking lot. I looked around the area for places to camp but vegetation was thick. There might be options on the other side of the creek.

Cummins Creek


Before starting my run in the morning, I drove across the road and enjoyed the morning views of the ocean.



I began the run and expected a steep climb, but it initially wasn't as steep as I expected. The trail was wide and didn't have many roots.

Cummins Creek Trail



The trail went through interesting forest.

It stated to get narrower.

I reached a nice view and could barely see the ocean in the distance.


There was a sign indicating a viewpoint. I went to check it out. I didn't expect any views above the trees so this was a surprise.


I joined the Cook's Ridge trail and quickly descended. I ran through the visitor center parking lot and then joined the Giant Spruce Trail along Cape Creek. The Giant Spruce Trail had temporarily been re-routed but was marked well.

Cape Creek

Giant Spruce Trail



Giant Spruce

Giant Spruce vertical panorama


There was a trail under 101 and the ocean was quite foamy. I wasn't sure exactly where the trails on the other side of the road went so I decided to go south first.


There was a great view of Cape Perpetua. There is a trail to the top that is part of the Oregon Coast races. Since I had done it before, I decided not to do it today. There is also a road to the top.

The tide was high and Thor's Well was barely visible from the Captain Cook Trail.

I found the Trail of Restless Waters and ran beside Cape Cove.

Cape Cove

Trail of Restless Waters

Devil's Churn had lots of water and foam.
Devil's Churn

I returned under 101 and joined the Oregon Coast Trail going south.

It was a short distance back to the Cummins Creek Trailhead.

Gwynn Creek

This was an excellent trail run on the Oregon Coast. I really enjoyed the forests, the expansive view on the Cummins Creek Trail, the Giant Spruce, and ocean scenery. The weather during this run was nearly perfect. This is one of my favorite places on the Oregon Coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment