The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Superior Hiking Trail: Duluth Section

Superior Hiking Trail cumulative miles: 49.6 miles
NCT/Lake Superior Adventure cumulative miles: 137.3+ 49.6= 186.9 miles

The Duluth Section of the Superior Hiking Trail is one that should not be missed during a thru-hike.  It includes great variety and many scenic views overlooking Duluth and Lake Superior.  There are also many streams and city parks, not to mention a highlight section on the Lakewalk.  Logistically this section is challenging as camping is technically not permitted, but there is a campground at Spirit Mountain available a little less than halfway through.

The Superior Hiking Trail was Part 2 of 6 of my NCT/Lake Superior Adventure.

Days 1 and 2: September 4-5, 2014
Jay Cooke State Park to Bald Eagle Campsite (18.7+30.9= 49.6 miles)

Highlights: Jay Cooke State Park, Ely's Peak, Bardon's Peak, Spirit Mountain, Keene Creek, Piedmont Knob, Hunter's Hill

After returning from my friends' wedding in Maryland, I drove to Jay Cooke State Park.  The main office was closed at my arrival so I self registered and paid for my vehicle pass for Minnesota State Parks.  I found a campsite in the State Park for the night.  

The swinging bridge at Jay Cook State Park over the St. Louis River


Impressive waterfalls

There was a great rainbow over the parking lot in the evening.

During the night it rained quite a bit as I slept in the back of my truck.  I tried to wait out the rain some in the morning before ensuring that I was fully prepared and not forgetting everything.  I drove over to the visitor center and went inside to let them know that I would be leaving my truck in the parking lot.  The woman working was very helpful and had me fill out a vehicle information form and gave me a map of the SHT's route through the park.

Day 1: Jay Cooke to Spirit Mountain (18.7 miles)

First SHT sign by the parking lot

The trail began on a paved bicycle trail on a re-route due to past flooding damage.


Soon I was back at the St. Louis River.
After leaving the river I passed an interesting historic stone bridge over Mission Creek.
Highlights of the day were Ely's and Bardon's Peaks with great views as I approached Duluth.



I camped at Spirit Mountain which was nearly completely empty.  I did a little searching to find the backpackers' sites.  They were up the hill from the end of the spur and to the right of the bathroom.  There was even water available.
I could hear trains passing in the distance during the night.

Day 2: Spirit Mountain to Bald Eagle Campsite (30.9 miles)
The next day I started early as the hike from Spirit Mountain to Bald Eagle Campsite is quite lengthy. I began by hiking through Spirit Mountain and past a ski lift.


There was great hiking along many creeks including Knowlton Creek, Kingsbury, and Keene. I believe the one below is Kingsbury.
I had some confusion at Skyline Parkway  at Highland/Getchell as the trail seemed to disappear into a construction zone, but I wandered through and after some time found the trail on the other side.  As of September 16, 2014 the SHTA updated this area,  "2) Complete closure of the trail at the Skyline Parkway at Highland/Getchell intersection due to the installation of a new bridge on Highland. This will be completely closed with no possibility of hiking through until the end of October."

There were great views of Duluth from many different knobs and overlooks.
 There was a special Superior Hiking Trail underpass.


The trail passed an overgrown park with a creative trail blaze. I thought about taking a break and testing out my balling skills, but there was no rim or ball.

The trail entered Enger Park with its historic bell. There is also a lookout tower in the park, but I missed it.


Crossing I-35 on a pedestrian overpass.


Aerial Lift Bridge

The Lakewalk was one of my favorites of the Duluth section.



As I left the Lakewalk a train was about to pass underneath me.

The Rose Garden was beautiful. I stopped for a break at the nearby Jimmy Johns for a quick sandwich.
From the Rose Garden the trail left the Lakeshore and was mainly on sidewalks until reaching trails on the University of Minnesota Duluth campus.  The trail is well marked but paying close attention on the streets is necessary.  Somehow I didn't pay attention to a marker that indicated a turn and I went straight for a while.  After this, I hiked with guide book in hand to ensure I didn't lose time as I still had to make it to camp for the night.

I continued through more parks and came to a nature center.


Hartley Pond

After some road walking past some cemeteries, I made it to Martin Road and the Duluth section was complete. I still had nearly five miles to go and the trail began on the North Shore State Trail (NSST), a snowmobile trail that the SHT follows on and off several times throughout the trail.

Eventually the SHT left the NSST and the long day was nearly complete.

I made it to camp in the late evening.  It had been an eventful day filled with lots of variety.


Just recapping this section has been a challenge in itself.  There were so many sights, parks, streams, and roads that it is tough to remember it all.  It's certainly special, but all blurred together in my mind.

In the future, trail is going to be added from Jay Cooke Park to Wisconsin creating a worthy increase in this already challenging section to complete with regards to the camping situation.  There are many accommodation options in Duluth.  In one place the trail even passes a motel so don't give up on adding the Duluth Section to your thru-hike.  It's worth it!

Continue to Bald Eagle Campsite to Silver Bay








No comments:

Post a Comment