The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Olympic National Park: Mountains, Coast, and Rainforest

June 13-16, 2014

Olympic National Park feels like it is many unique parks that combine to become one of the best national parks.  There are mountains, lakes, beautiful Pacific coastline, and rainforest all within several hours of each other.

I had the opportunity to spend an extended weekend exploring the park and it was a great experience.  After getting the ferry to Port Townsend, I drove to Heart O' the Hills Campground for the night.

The next morning I drove up to Hurricane Ridge and hiked the trail to Hurricane Hill.  It was cloudy and there weren't views of the peaks nearby. This section is on the alternate route of the Pacific Northwest Trail through the park.

At the top of Hurricane Hill visibility was quite low.  On a good day there would be 360 degree panorama views of the Olympic Mountains and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.


I imagined the view that was right in front of me.

The clouds began to clear a little.


There was a marmot nearby.

On the way back, the mountains were just barely in view.

Mount Olympus came into view.






I climbed up on a ridge for a great panoramic view of Mount Olympus!

Next I drove down the road to the Switchback Trail Trailhead for a climb up to Klahhane Ridge on the Switchback Trail.



 It was a short but steep climb up to the ridge.

There were great views of the road below and the mountains in the distance.  Even some blue sky!



Up on the ridge, I stopped and ate some food.

Klahhane Ridge

View from Klahhane Ridge


The view on the other side was spectacular and I watched the clouds moving quickly below.

I hiked a short distance on the ridge but it was still quite snowy.



The clouds came in fast.

There was a friendly marmot enjoying the view.

I ran down the switchbacks back to the trailhead.  On the way I met a deer in the trail.

Shi Shi Beach
I drove along the scenic Highway 112 to the Shi Shi Beach Trailhead.  It is one of the best beaches in the Pacific Northwest.  I took the trail from the Makah Indian Reservation.

The trail was great except for a few muddy spots.

There was a steep descent to the beach.

Shi Shi Beach






I climbed up a headland for a view.

There was a rope to help the climb.

On the other side I found impressive coastal formations.





There was a frame from something that had washed up on shore.

I found starfish and sea anemones.






 I returned to the trail and headed back to the trailhead.  If more time is available, you can continue down the beach to Point of Arches, a classic photo spot.



Ozette Triangle: Cape Alava- Sand Point Loop
This 9.4 mile loops has been regarded as one of the best on the Olympic Coast.  I went counterclockwise.  On the way to the beach there was a lot of great boardwalk.


After a little more than 3 miles I made it to Cape Alava, which is the western terminus of the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail, a that starts 1200 miles to the East in Glacier National Park.

The tide was out quite far and I explored the coast as I hiked south to Sand Point.
























After three miles I made it to Sand Point and its Sandy Beach.


Sand Point




There were a few others camped nearby.


Eventually I had to leave and returned into the forest on my way back to Ozette Lake.

Bridge over the Ozette River

Ozette Lake is one of the largest in the state of Washington.

Ozette Lake

This guy was relaxing in a campsite.

Ozette Lake


Rialto Beach and Hole in the Wall
Rialto Beach is located at the end of Mora Road.  Hole in the Wall is a classic sea arch on the Olympic Coast.  The Pacific Northwest Trail also coincides with this beach.

Rialto Beach

Looking South to Little James and James Islands


The tide was coming in.

Rialto Beach had lots of driftwood.




I came to my first view of Hole in the Wall

Hole-in-the-Wall to the right




I climbed up on the bluff for a view from the other side.

The tide was in too much for me to feel comfortable walking through the hole, but this is a popular activity during low tide.


Back on the bluff, I enjoyed a spectacular view to the south.  Notice the amount of driftwood.


On the way back the tides had come in more and I just walked through the foamy waves.


Ruby Beach
I left Rialto Beach and headed to Kalaloch Campground and found a campsite.  I headed back north to Ruby Beach for the evening.  Ruby Beach is only .25 miles from the parking lot and one of the most beautiful easily accessible beaches in the park.


The tide was out and the beach was very flat and shiny.




I didn't have time, but the hike north to the Hoh River would certainly be worth it.






Abbey Island



There was an eagle flying high above.












I headed back to Kalaloch Campground for the night.  

Kalaloch Campsite

In the morning I headed down to the beach.

There were many reflections in the early morning.



I then headed to the Hoh Rain Forest, one of the largest temperate rain forests in the US.  I joined the Hoh River Trail for a short hike to the Hoh River.  The trail is over 17 miles long and goes the the base of Mount Olympus at Glacier Meadows.  It connects with other trails and would make a great backpacking adventure.










I made it to the Hoh River and took a break to eat a snack.

The Hoh River


Hoh River

 It began to rain which was exciting because I was in a rainforest.

I headed back to the parking lot.

I took a short detour to the Hall of Mosses Trail with bigleaf maples and Sitka Spruce.



The short 0.8 mile trail is very popular with day-hikers and photographers.


After leaving the Hoh Rainforest I started my way back to Port Townsend to catch the ferry.  I drove past Lake Crescent on the way and stopped to take a few pictures.




There were many flowers nearby.

There were great views from the Washington Ferry on the way back.

Port Townsend





It was a great three-day weekend trip to Olympic National Park.   I had limited time in Washington state and didn't know if I would be able to make it back so I tried to experience the best of the mountains, coast, and rainforest.  Ideally, backpacking trips can be done in each of these settings.  The section of the Pacific Northwest Trail through the park would make a great backpacking trip.  There is also opportunity to hike in different seasons on the coast.  The Olympic Coast has been rated the seventh best long distance trail in the country from the Hoh River to Shi Shi Beach.  Hopefully I will be able to return to Olympic National Park in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment