The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Gros Ventre Wilderness: Shoal Creek and Brewster Lake Loop

July 31-August 2, 2018
37.2 miles


On my way west from Casper, Wyoming to Medford Oregon for my next job I stopped to complete two separate hikes in western Wyoming. First I completed a beautiful loop in the Washakie Wilderness.  Then I drove through Yellowstone and the Tetons to backpack this excellent loop in the Gros Ventre Wilderness. This hike is described in Douglas Lorain's book: Backpacking Wyoming: From Towering Granite Peaks to Steaming Geyser Basins.

I met a mouse as I arrived at the trailhead at Granite Creek in the evening. It had been a longer drive than I anticipated.

This hike is Grizzly territory. Bear spray is advised.

I began the hike toward Shoal Falls.

Swift Creek

The distant mountains were in a smoky haze. Earlier in the day when I drove past the Tetons, I could barely see them due to the smoke.



It was a steady climb through burned forest.







I started to get some views of the mountains.


The sun was beginning to set.






The trail went through some nice meadows.




I made it to a dramatic ridge when I could see Shoal Falls down below.



It was starting to get dark as I descended.


Shoal Falls


I reached a campsite near Shoal Creek and went over to a pond with a nice reflection.

Campsite near Shoal Creek








I took a spur trail toward Shoal Falls. There was a nice campsite in the forest.

I lost the trail and bushwhacked my way to Shoal Falls.


I hiked back to the trail and started my way toward Shoal Lake.





I accidentally climbed up on a ridge, but there was a nice view.





There were lots of flowers along the trail.




I made it to Shoal Lake and took a break to enjoy the view.

Shoal Lake







The trail passed the lake and climbed up to a pass.

Shoal Lake




The route went off trail to Brewster Lake.

The views were spectacular.






There was still snow in places.


I could see the pass I was hiking to.







I had to be a little careful to make sure I took the right route to the pass.

At the top of the pass I could see cliffs to the left. I looked carefully for a route called "Big Balls of Cowtown Trail" but I was unable to find it.



Even right beside the cliffs was steep and loose scree.

I saw a spot that looked like a possible route to the top and decided to check it out.


It was probably a little more climbing than I'm comfortable with but I scrambled my way to the top of the cliffs.
Looking down the way I came up

Looking back to the off trail pass

From the top of the cliffs I explored a little but was unable to find the "trail" through the cliffs.

I began the descent to Brewster Lake.




I passed a small lake.

Brewster Lake


I stayed to the right of the creek that goes to Brewster Lake for too long, which brought me to a cliff.

I had to backtrack a little and cross the creek.




Triangle Peak

I made it to Brewster Lake. What a view!






I climbed up to a pass near Grizzly Basin.



I saw the only other hikers I would see in the Gros Ventre Wilderness at the top of the pass.






I searched for grizzlies in Grizzly Basin.




Chateau Lake





I forded the Gros Ventre River and passed an empty hunting camp.

I continue west along the Gros Ventre River.


The trail went through many meadows with view of uniquely shaped peaks.
















Before the trail climbed up, I found a beautiful place to camp near the Gros Ventre River.

Gros Ventre River


There was a storm that passed through during the night that was quite windy but with little rain. I awoke to dramatic clouds over the mountains.

There were also many flowers.









I began the climb up to a pass.

The trail was lost in the flowers.


This was the greatest display of flowers that I have seen while backpacking.










I reached the trail junction that goes back to Shoal Lake.


I continue the climb upward.




I reached the top of the pass and the views were inspiring.


Antionette Peak in the center


I descended toward Swift Creek.









I enjoyed the last views in the high country.






It was still hazy in the distance.

The trail entered the forest and it was a fairly long descent back to the trailhead.


Swift Creek




I reached the meadows near the trailhead and soon my hike was complete.


Trailhead at Granite Creek

This was another spectacular hike in Wyoming. What made this hike special was its remarkable solitude considering it is close to the Tetons. The scenery is probably almost as nice, but no permits are required and it felt like I had the wilderness almost all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment