The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Pacific Crest Trail near Mount Thielsen

July 24-26, 2020
~31 miles

I had the chance to go out for a quick weekend backpacking adventure near Mount Thielsen with a side trip to Tipsoo Peak and almost to the top of Mount Thielsen.





I began from the Mount Thielsen Trailhead.

_2h9OJbfyPU/XyjAR1zVg_I/AAAAAAAAbao/1WM8IwmPCFkX8AmtkN-FCELgRkmedZ5_gCLcBGAsYHQ/s2048/Mount%2BThielsen-2.jpg" style="margin-left: 1em; margin-right: 1em;">

Soon I could look down to Diamond Lake.


I joined the Spruce Ridge Trail and saw the top of Mount Thielsen for the first time while on the trail.

The trail as mainly in the forest.


Then I joined the Howlock Mountain Trail.

It was getting later in the evening and I began to look for a place to camp near Timothy Meadows.

I found a flat spot away from Thielsen Creek. Thielsen Creek would be the only natural water source that I encountered the entire weekend.

The next morning I continued on the Howlock Mountain Trail and entered the Mount Thielsen Wilderness.


I cross remaining snowfields in the shadow of the forest.

As I neared the PCT there was a beautiful meadow with views of Mount Thielsen.

Howlock Mountain was also visible but I was looking right into the sun.

Howlock Mountain

Mount Thielsen


I turned left on the PCT.



The trail went through some meadows.


I reached the high point on the PCT in Oregon and Washington.  It didn't seem like it was that high as trail was still in the forest.

I left my pack off the trail and started an out and back day hike NOBO on the PCT.

I passed Tipsoo Peak which I planned to go to the top on the way back.


The trail descended from the state high point and was mainly forested but had several overlooks.


I reached the trail junction for Maidu Lake and Miller Lake. I decided this was a good place to turn around.

I started the climb back up to the PCT high point in Oregon.

There were some snowy peaks in the distance, maybe the Sisters.


There was a beautiful campsite beside the trail.

Tipsoo Peak

Soon I made it back to my backpack and had a snack. Then I left it again and started the short off-trail climb to Tipsoo Peak.

There were beautiful flowers. The off-trail hiking was easy as I hiked up through the open meadow to connect with the Tipsoo Peak Trail.


Mount Thielsen, Diamond Lake, and Mount Bailey

Diamond Peak

There was a great view from the top of Tipsoo Peak

Mount Thielsen

Howlock Mountain



I started the way down Tipsoo Peak.

Soon I was back on the PCT.

I could see Howlock Mountain through the trees, but the view from the Howlock Mountain Trail was better than the PCT.

I reached the junction for the Howlock Mountain Trail and continued on the PCT.

I could see Mount Bailey and Diamond Lake down below.

I approached Mount Thielsen. I tried to pick out the route to the top.

I reached Thielsen Creek and camp early in the afternoon. This was the only water source in the area. I had planned to hike farther but decided it was such a spectacular view and excellent water source to spend the night. Several others were camped nearby but it wasn't that crowded.

I went across the stream and explored the nearby boulder field and then found a nice campsite with a view of Mount Thielsen.




There were some great evening views.


I found an upper part of Thielsen Creek with a one foot waterfall!

There was evening light on Mount Thielsen and I could see the moon rise.


My campsite beneath Mount Thielsen

Mount Thielsen


I awoke to a beautiful starry night with the Milky Way over Mount Thielsen.


There was also great light in the morning.


I continued on the PCT with a view of Diamond Peak in the distance.

There were beautiful flowers beside a spectacular section of trail.


Looking back I could see the sun just starting to shine over Mount Thielsen.

I dropped my pack and started up the Mount Thielsen Trail. There were many tents at the trail junction.

Looking back down the ridge to Diamond Lake

To the south I could see the Crater Lake Rim.

The trail became faint as it got steeper with lots of loose rock.


I reached the final pinnacle where a group of climbers was using a rope.

There was a great view from just below the summit.

It was a little hazy in the distance.


I considered going to the very top, but am not an experienced rock climber so decided to enjoy the view from where I was.

I could see down some 2000 feet to where I had camped the night before.

I started the descent.


Looking back up to Mount Thielsen.



From the trail junction, I had planned to continue on the PCT  with a quick out and back, but decided I will do that another time and descended back to the Mount Thielsen Trailhead. Overall, this was a beautiful section of the PCT. The campsite below Mount Thielsen is one of my favorites! I also really enjoyed the short off-trail side trip to Tipsoo Peak. There isn't much water in the section so if hiking both directions, the route needs to be planned using Thielsen Creek.


No comments:

Post a Comment