The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Pacific Crest Trail: Santiam Pass to South Matthieu Lake

August 2-4, 2019

~42+ miles roundtrip (PCT miles 2001-1980 plus side trips to Belknap Crater, Little Belknap, and George Lake

I had the chance for on out and back weekend backpacking adventure on the PCT. This hike connects with the northern section of the Three Sisters Loop at South Matthieu Lake. I decided to hike this section of trail at this time due to the upcoming requirement for permits and fees in the Mount Washington and Three Sisters Wilderness areas beginning in 2020. Much of the hike was through burned areas but I enjoyed side trips to Belknap Crater and Little Belknap, swimming in the lakes, and an off-trail campsite at George Lake below Mount Washington. There were many views of the Cascades.

I began the hike Friday afternoon after a half day at work and driving to the trailhead.


Three Fingered Jack from Santiam Pass Trailhead

Santiam Pass Trailhead


The PCT was a short distance from the trailhead with a water cache.

It was a clear day and to the south  I could see Mount Washington and the Sisters in the distance.

Looking north, I could see Three Fingered Jack.

Nearby was the Hoodoo Ski area.

The trail south of the highway isn't in wilderness and probably the least scenic portion of this section of PCT.

I came to a "small pond" that actually was similar or larger than lakes further south in size. There was a view of Hayrick Butte.

At a road crossing, I met some trail angels with trail magic for hikers. A southbound thruhiker was also there enjoying the hospitality.




I officially entered the Mount Washington Wilderness.

Looking to the north


Much of the trail was in burned forest but occasionally I could find unobstructed views, including this one of Three Fingered Jack.

I had a glimpse of Big Lake through the forest.


Mount Washington

The trail entered unburned forest.

There was a meadow beside the trail.

The trail in the unburned sections wasn't as dusty.


There was a distant view to the west.




I came to a view of Belknap Crater and the North Sister. I could see a pronounced fire burn in the trees below.

There was also an impressive view of the lava that I would hike across the next day.


Mount Washington was in the clouds.


The trail was right on the side of the ridge with open views.





I went a short distance off-trail to Upper Washington Pond, one of the only water sources in the area.

It was a small pond but had good camping nearby and still plenty of water.


I enjoyed some nice evening views.



Campsite near Upper Washington Pond


I climbed up a nearby ridge and found a nice view.



After a restful night, I awoke to a view of the top of Mount Washington.

Upper Washington Pond and Mount Washington

On the way back to the PCT I found Lower Washington Pond which I hadn't seen on my way to the upper pond. The lower pond doesn't have as much water.

Looking back to Mount Washington

I entered the burned forest and I believe could see Diamond Peak in the distance.

Mount Washington

North and Middle Sisters and Belknap Crater

The trail entered the lava field. I met a few northbound thru hikers who had had to skip past the Sierra.


This section through the lava was quite interesting but has little shade and increased difficulty.


Mount Washington


The trail climbed up and for a short section in the forest.


I approached little Belknap.

There was a great view of the Sisters!

I met a group of hikers who had camped on top of Belknap Crater last night and said it was windy. I decided to hike to the top.

It was a sandy trail and somewhat steep in places.

Little Belknap

Mount Washington

Belknap Crater

Mount Washington with Mount Jefferson just barely visible to right.



I reached the top of Belknap Crater and enjoyed the great views.

Belknap Crater

Three Sisters from Belknap Crater

Little Belknap from Belknap Crater

Three Fingered Jack and Mount Washington from Belknap Crater


Belknap Crater summit view to north

Belknap Crater Summit view to south


I began the descent back to the PCT.

Mount Washington




I returned to the lava and decided I would stop by Little Belknap on my return trip.

Looking back to Belknap Crater

Mount Washington and Mount Jefferson


Three Sisters


The trail descended toward the Mckenzie Pass Highway.


Looking back to Belknap Crater and Little Belknap

I reached a trailhead by Mckenzie Pass. The trail continued on the north side of the road.


I left the Mount Washington Wilderness.

I crossed the scenic highway.

Three Sisters

Mount Jefferson in the clouds





I reached the junction for Lava Lake Camp and continued on the PCT in burned forest.


I made it to the N Matthieu Lake Trail and stayed on the PCT.

The trail went past a small pond.

The trail was on a ridge with great views of Mount Washington and Three Fingered Jack

Mount Jefferson

Mount Washington


There was also an excellent view of the North Sister.

North Sister

North Sister

I entered the S Matthieu Lake campsite area. There were still empty campsites on a Saturday afternoon.

I reached South Matthieu Lake and enjoyed a spectacular view. Last time I was here the view was entirely in the clouds.
South Matthieu Lake and North Sister


South Matthieu Lake and North Sister

I began my return hike with a loop heading to North Matthieu Lake.

North Matthieu Lake didn't have a big mountain view but was still a pleasant lake.

I took a break and enjoyed a refreshing swim.

I could barely see the North Sister from North Matthieu Lake.


I continued north toward the PCT.



I returned back to the lava.


This time I could see the top of Mount Jefferson.



There were many clouds which provided some shade as I hiked through the lava with a great view of Mount Jefferson.

I left the Three Sisters Wilderness.

I crossed the Mckenzie Pass Highway.

In the middle of the lava, there is an interesting tree island.






I began the hike up to Little Belknap.

Little Belknap

Belknap Crater


Little Belknap

Mount Washington and Mount Jefferson from Little Belknap

Three Sisters from Little Belknap







After descending out of the lava, I went off trail to George Lake.

Off trail hiking through the ferns.

Mount Washington

I ended up on a ridge above George Lake.

George Lake


George Lake


Mount Washington from George Lake


I found great campsite with a view a Mount Washington. It took me some time to figure out that the name George Lake wasn't a coincidence.

I could hear some climbers on Mount Washington.




The next morning, there was great light on Mount Washington.




From George Lake it was a fairly short, uneventful hike back to Santiam Pass.


Belknap Crater





There was a beautiful section of trail where it wasn't burned.

I had some better views of Mount Washington.





Three Fingered Jack


Pond and Hayrick Butte

I didn't notice it the first time I passed, but this time I discovered a PCT 2000 mile marker indicating 2000 miles from Mexico on the PCT.



Soon I was back at the Santiam Pass Trailhead. This was a great hike on the PCT. While much of it is unfortunately burned and there weren't any water sources other the ponds and lakes, I really enjoyed the views of the mountains and it was an interesting experience hiking across a lava field.

No comments:

Post a Comment